ST. LOUIS, Sept. 13, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Metabolic syndrome — a cluster of symptoms including high blood sugar, obesity and cardiovascular problems — has reached epidemic proportions.
According to the American Heart Association, 47 million Americans now have metabolic syndrome. The syndrome afflicts 40 percent of people in their sixties and seventies. That number is expected to rise along with our aging population.
A recent CDC study published in Pediatrics shows the epidemic isn't limited to older adults either. Obesity in teens has skyrocketed in the past decade, and 23 percent of teens are now classified as diabetic or prediabetic.
The symptoms of metabolic syndrome can cause very serious long-term damage to your body — even if you feel fine."A person with metabolic syndrome is twice as likely to develop heart disease and five times more likely to develop diabetes. Other silent symptoms include eye, kidney and nervous system damage over time," explained Dr. Carl Hastings, chief scientific officer at Reliv International. Could you have metabolic syndrome? Excess weight, particularly around the waistline, is the biggest contributor to metabolic syndrome. Metabolic syndrome typically includes three or more of these symptoms:
- waistline of 40+ inches for men or 35+ inches for women
- high blood pressure, or on blood pressure medication
- high triglycerides
- high blood sugar or type II diabetes
- low levels of HDL (good) cholesterol
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV