It's one thing to see the 44th economy in the world (Greece) bob like a wine cork in the Mediterranean Sea, yet quite another to witness the economies of Spain and Italy crack. (Note: An ETF enthusiast must know
Like Greece, Spain and Italy will have to ask for ECB bond support as well as negotiate some measure of austerity. From my vantage point, these are risks that do not bode well for smaller company stock ETFs.
Rather than chase, it seems exceptionally more prudent to stick with the established companies with the strongest balance sheets and long histories of paying out dividends. I am sticking with many of the very same assets that have defined my client portfolios in 2012.
They include dividend ETFs like Vanguard High Yield Dividend (VYM) and Vanguard Dividend Growth (VIG). They also include income producing exchange-traded funds like Guggenheim Multi-Asset Income (CVY), iShares Preferred (PFF), iShares High Yield Corporate Bond (HYG) and the more recent Market Vectors Preferred Ex Financials (PFXF).This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV