You Might Have Less Car Insurance Than You Think!
"It's awkward to ask to see your friend's driver's license, but then again you're trusting someone with your car, and if they wreck and there's no coverage, you're the one who's going to be responsible," Gusner says.
5. Exclusions for doing business
Many policies exclude coverage for any business use of the vehicle, Wilson says. Borrowing someone else's car won't help either - their personal auto policy likely won't cover your business use.
In addition, many policies exclude coverage for pizza or other delivery.
"Imagine how many pizza delivery drivers are on the road tonight without insurance," Wilson says. "This exclusion could apply to all kinds of exposures, from delivery [of] newspapers to Mary Kay cosmetics."
6. Restricted coverage for car theftSome policies exclude coverage for theft without any evidence of forced entry, Wilson says, and some don't offer coverage for upgraded and custom equipment. That can be a problem if you've made some after-market modifications to your vehicle. Wilson recommends working with an agent who understands your needs and can explain the differences between policies.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts