So let me first discuss with you our company strategy. The first point to note is the circle in the middle here. We are One MetLife, a truly global company, moving very much towards a global mindset. And clearly, that's going to take some time, because we've been a significant U.S.-centric organization for many, many years, but I believe we're moving in that direction quickly and with great purpose. This global mindset really is the reason we broke the company down into 3 parts a while ago, and that's obviously the Americas, EMEA and the part that John has announced too, that being Asia.
The final foundational principle that Steve discussed is the need really for us to leverage our global scale. So there has to be a fundamental benefit of being big. We need to make it truly matter through all of our constituents, be it our shareholders, our customers, our employees, and of course, our distribution partners. So it's really about making sure that we create and maintain value.
So with those fundamental principles as a backdrop, let me just walk around the 4 individual strategic pillars to make sure you understand how it hangs together and how it resonates with us here in Asia.
The first, obviously is top left-hand corner there is to refocus the U.S. Business, and I think Bill in his team have been very clear with you in terms of how we're achieving that balance between profitable returns and growth, so they've already made some great progress in that work. The second one is top right-hand corner, building the global employee benefit business. Maria Morris is leveraging all of the great talent and expertise we have in the U.S. business to bring that to a number of the larger global insurance markets in which we operate. And again, I think they've had some good wins to their credit. So I look forward to being a very helpful partner to Maria, and that ambition on behalf of Asia.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV