Ford's CEO Transition Won't Change Its Biggest Problem
By Phil LeBeau, CNBC Correspondent
NEW YORK (CNBC) -- Did you see the market's reaction to news reports on Tuesday afternoon of the Ford board of directors discussing a successor to CEO Alan Mulally?
It was a collective yawn. That's not a commentary on the possibility Ford may move Mark Fields into the job of COO and essentially put him in position to ultimately replace Mulally. (Read More: Ford's Board May Consider CEO Succession Thursday.)
No, the fact shares of Ford (F) stay stuck in the mud like an old F-150 is because investors know two things:
- Most on Wall Street have expected for some time that Fields will be Ford's next CEO.
- This management transition doesn't solve Ford's biggest problem, Europe. Sure, as COO Fields will likely take a more involved role in running Ford's European operation.
More from CNBC
Toyota Camry Surges Past Ford F-150 to US Top Spot
Are Construction Job Losses All About Pay?
Hate Meetings? Why Most Are Complete Failures
--Written by Phil LeBeau at CNBC
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV