Developments in Libya, though, should not be ignored as civil war in the country proved to mire oil markets in 2011.
Libya pumped about 1.6 million barrels a day before the Arab Spring and civil war broke out there, and production nearly disappeared during the conflict. The loss of that production, about 2% of the world's reserves as Smith pointed out, drove oil prices higher.
But the larger impact that oil investors may be anticipating are remarks by politicians on the situation.
"A lot of people, perhaps, could be paying attention to the response of our political leaders, and perhaps that could have an effect on the supply and demand for oil as well," said Joe Bell, senior equity analyst at Schaeffer's Investment Research.So for the immediate uproar that surrounds the attacks in Benghazi, oil investors may take a wait-and-see mentality until more information surfaces. Integrated oil companies were trading sideways on Wednesday. Shares of ConocoPhillips (COP) were up 0.40%, while Hess (HES) was rising 0.27%. BP (BP) was up 0.14%, as Chevron (CVX) was gaining 0.25%. Shares of Exxon (XOM) were flat. -- Written by Joe Deaux in New York. >Contact by Email. Follow @JoeDeaux
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV