Royal Caribbean Cruises
2012 has been a year of rough seas for Royal Caribbean Cruises (RCL). Shares of the $6.5 billion cruise line shares have bounced between substantial gains to substantial losses several times over the course of the year.
And while shares currently sit on the upper end of the stock's range as we enter the fall, investors need to be aware of some less attractive attributes in this stock. RCL's cash reserves have been more than cut in half in the last year, down to 212.2 million.>>5 Consumer Stocks Hedge Funds Love Royal Caribbean's No. 2 spot in the cruise industry is enviable, and so is the firm's lineup of brands. Besides its namesake line, Royal Caribbean also owns Celebrity Cruises and a handful of regional operators in Europe. But that positioning doesn't change the fact that RCL operates in a capital intense business with inconsistent margins and huge exposure to commodity prices. In the latest quarter, RCL only earned 9% more than its interest expenses before taxes. That's not a great sign. Let's face it: Cruising is a business that's driven by consumer discretionary spending. With consumers still keeping a tight handle on their purse strings in 2012, RCL's cash burn isn't likely to abate in the near-term. The firm's balance sheet is already taxed. Don't get caught waiting for RCL to raise capital before selling.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV