BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- When it comes to cash, a handful of stocks are shouting "burn, baby, burn." If you own any of these names, I'd recommend pulling out the fire extinguisher for your portfolio.
There are few red flags as bright and glowing as a high cash burn rate. I know the saying is overused, but cash truly is king. That's why firms burning through cash at a fast pace are sending a big message to investors -- one that they often don't want to send. Maybe more importantly, it's a message that investors won't get by turning to the usual metrics like earnings.
I realize that seems surprising, but there's a good reason why cash offers so much more transparency.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV