Offsetting these positive rating factors is VBIC’s unfavorable membership trends, which has negatively impacted premium levels over the past several years and has continued through the second quarter of 2012. However, management expects membership and premium growth in the second half of 2012 due to the company’s ongoing strategic growth initiatives, with a focus on sustainable and profitable growth trends going forward.
A.M. Best believes that VBIC is well positioned at its current rating level. However, key rating factors that could lead to negative rating actions include unprofitable membership growth leading to deterioration in the company’s operating performance, a decline in its absolute and/or risk-adjusted capital levels without any support from its parent, or adverse changes to VHS’ financial condition.
The methodology used in determining these ratings is Best’s Credit Rating Methodology, which provides a comprehensive explanation of A.M. Best’s rating process and contains the different rating criteria employed in the rating process. Key criteria utilized include: “Understanding BCAR for Life/Health Insurers”; “Evaluating Non-Insurance Ultimate Parents”; “Rating Members of Insurance Groups”; and “Risk Management and the Rating Process for Insurance Companies.” Best’s Credit Rating Methodology can be found at www.ambest.com/ratings/methodology.
Founded in 1899, A.M. Best Company is the world's oldest and most authoritative insurance rating and information source. For more information, visit www.ambest.comCopyright © 2012 by A.M. Best Company, Inc. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV