NEW YORK -- Apple (AAPL) shares rose following the unveiling of the tech giant's iPhone 5 at a media event in San Francisco on Wednesday.
The iPhone 5 has a bigger 4-inch screen, is only 7.6 millimeters thick and weighs just 112 grams. The device also comes with Retina Display and runs on 4G or Long Term Evolution (LTE) networks from AT&T, Verizon and Sprint.
Apple shares rose 1.4% on Wednesday to close at $669.79.
Pier 1 Imports (PIR), the specialty retailer, is expected by analysts Thursday to report fiscal second-quarter earnings of 19 cents a share in the three months ended in August on revenue of $367.2 million.
Dole Food (DOLE)is in advanced talks to sell its packaged foods and Asian fresh fruit and vegetable businesses to Japan's Itochu. A report from the Nikkei business daily reported that Itochu may pay as much as $1.7 billion. Dole shares rose almost 10% on Wednesday to $14.07.
Abercrombie & Fitch (ANF)has hired Goldman Sachs as it works to ward off pressure from investors because of its declining stock price, a source familiar with the matter told Reuters.
W.W. Grainger (GWW), the tools and supplies retailer, is expected to report sales results for August. Leadership Lessons From Our Favorite Teachers
-- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV