Platinum for October delivery was gaining $37.50 to $1,644.50 an ounce. The precious metal traded as high as $1,659.50 and as low as $1,603.50 an ounce.
Platinum has rallied since the middle of August after a Lonmin mine grabbed attention when South African police killed some 45 workers (according to the most recent death toll reports) who were staging an illegal strike.
Gold mining stocks were mixed on Wednesday. Shares of Goldcorp (GG) were rising 2%, while shares of NovaGold Resources (NG) were adding 1.7%. Gold Fields (GFI) was one of the sector's biggest losers as shares of the mining company shed 2.8%.
-- Written by Joe Deaux in New York.>Contact by Email. Follow @JoeDeaux
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV