Updated from 9:31 a.m. EDT with settlement prices and mining stocks
Gold for December delivery slipped $1.20 to settle $1,733.70 an ounce at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange. The
The yellow metal posted early morning gains after Germany revealed it would commit to aiding the eurozone. But a recent rally in gold, coupled with the Federal Reserve's meeting announcement to come Thursday, reversed the rise."Certainly the German decision has helped underpin risk sentiment," said James Moore, an analyst at FastMarkets.com. "The moves that we've seen today are in reaction to the German news and the fact that German politicians are not going to stand in the way of the ESM in providing stability to the eurozone." "The market feels like it will be swung around on fresh news items but mostly will experience some consolidation of recent gains," George Gero, precious metals strategist at RBC Capital Markets, wrote in a Wednesday afternoon note.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV