Conflicting thoughts: Beware of the Fed potentially failing to ease in line with market expectations -- whether in language, amount, or at all -- and of China possibly failing to prime its economic pump to a stronger degree. In this scenario, Alcoa's so-so fundamental story -- despite the CEO selling it hard on the second-quarter call -- would be exposed amid the unwinding asset-reflation premium. Hmm. Separately, McDonald's (MCD - Get Report) August sales were cheered. That didn't take much, considering the company's weakening fundamental trends of the past two quarters.
Conflicting thoughts: Overlooked in this glorious news was the fact that U.S. sales were roughly in line to consensus and that Europe missed, in spite of increased investments in value and marketing. In fact, I'm wondering about profit margins in this type of month. With these investments set to spur same-restaurant sales into a slowing global growth environment that should favor trade-down, shouldn't McDonald's' numbers have packed punch? Hmm.
Things You Are Missing in the A.M.
- As far as I am concerned, Texas Instruments' (TXN - Get Report) mid-quarter update supported early-inning warnings from companies, and shouts, "the global economy is in limbo and at risk of downside surprises." Specific areas of concern included, first, "timely actions" to reduce costs. This implies weaker-than-expected demand will be around for a bit, and that management does not want to miss on another quarter. The second worry is that most orders are tracking below mid-range of expectations. A single part of the business, wireless, is holding the company afloat, instead of broader strength.
- The Fed is likely to cut its economic forecasts Thursday to justify fresh easing. How does that play in the election? President Obama has been surging in the polls of late, but reduced targets from the Fed once again -- led by a person the president reappointed -- could be a benefit to Republican nominee Mitt Romney. Watch oil-related stocks for a bid. By the way, do you even remember what the Fed did with its growth targets months ago? Here's
- Be mindful of the architecture of easing: If the Fed just buys Treasuries , leaving out mortgage-backed securities, there will be disappointment.
- Reiteration: Retail stocks are looking too toppy for my tastes, especially into the slow months after the back-to-school season and before the holidays. I have no bones to pick here in putting on a short in Decker's Outdoor (DECK).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV