Kweichou Maotai, the biggest company of its kind in China, announced a 20% to 30% ex-factory price hike from this month, after share prices hit a record high in July. China Jiugui Liquor saw a historic high around the same time.
Valuations for China's overall spirit sector are strong, according to an analysis by the Swiss investment bank UBS. It says the sector is trading at 12 times 2013's estimated price-to-earnings ratio, implying 36% growth potential for next year. Over the past month shares have sagged, but that's seen as a short-term trend that just makes them cheaper for now.
Shares of both Kweichow and China Jiugui already show signs of picking up -- quickly.
"Historically, spirits have been less affected by economic slowdowns compared to other consumer sectors, especially since 2010," UBS said in a note to this column last week. "We believe sectors with stable results growth profiles may still enjoy a valuation premium upside."This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV