"In an economy like this there is the tendency to be conservative, but all the data we see suggest that there is nothing that can replace the face-to-face relationship," he said.
Although the online travel industry has held up fairly well in the sluggish economy, there are signs of weakness. Expedia's bookings and revenue have grown at a much slower rate than some of its biggest competitors in recent months.
Three-fourths of Expedia's revenue comes from selling hotel bookings, and that business grew by 16 percent in the second quarter. That more than offset a decline of 8 percent in airline-ticket revenue.
_____Samantha Bomkamp can be reached at www.twitter.com/SamWillTravel
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV