SAN FRANCISCO ( TheStreet) -- Intel (INTC), the world's largest chipmaker, laid out its vision for the next generation of computing devices at its annual Developer Forum event, touting new touch- and voice-based technologies, and giving a preview of a next-generation processor code-named Haswell.
David Perlmutter, Intel's chief product officer, said the chip will offer double the performance of its predecessor, Ivy Bridge. The 22-nanometer processor, which is coming to market next year, will play a key role in tablets and so-called ultrabooks, a new breed of skinny laptops that Intel is championing.
"Next year, you're going to find the best-performing graphics-processing capability in a very thin form factor," he said. "Mobile computing is about much more than just mobile, it's about computing."
Perlmutter also said Intel will add even lower power processors based on the same architecture to its roadmap starting in 2013.Earlier in his keynote, the Intel product chief also demonstrated voice-interaction technology running on an ultrabook, delivered in conjunction with Nuance Communications (NUAN), the company behind the Apple (AAPL) iPhone's Siri. "We're going to have beta available in the fourth quarter of this year," he said. "Production
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV