Given all of that, we have to strike a fine balance. And actually, I believe that it's wise to describe the next chapter that we're opening now as an interim period. But we have a clear objective to address the changes that we cannot influence, but at the same time, elevate ourselves to a platform from which we can enjoy increased optionality once we are prepared to open the next page, i.e., 2016 and further on.
I don't have to go into detail here. You are very familiar with the regulatory environment and its implications on our industry. We have no option but to cope with what regulators are giving us as a framework under which we operate. We are very comfortable so far that we are not put into any disadvantageous situation here, but we are also cognizant of the implications the regulatory framework is having and is bound to have even further as we move forward and see them unfolding in the full scope.
So we have to be aware of depressed business volumes in certain categories because the client behavior is changing. We have to reckon for the capital requirements and the implications resulting from that. We also are aware of the fact that margins will be depressed and cost of funds are going to be higher than we're used to in the past.
As a result of that, we have reviewed the situation at a level of granularity that allows us to differentiate going forward. And as you see in the upper left-hand corner, there is a need to do that because even at regional level, not everything will be the same. We have also seen that as a result of that, there is some long-term trends that will change the pattern of the earnings mix for various institutions, and all of that will clearly demonstrate that there's an interesting mix waiting for us between these near-term charges and long-term opportunities that I'll try to address too.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV