SEATTLE, Wash., Sept. 11, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Families across America are invited to speak directly with top experts in the nation's largest memory-care organization to gain practical tips for caring for loved ones with Alzheimer's or dementia. Emeritus Senior Living Executive Vice President Budgie Amparo, R.N., M.S.N., head of clinical services, and Vice President Kelly Scott, who oversees Alzheimer's programming, will take questions during a live Internet chat at 10 a.m. PT/ 1 p.m. ET, on Tuesday, Sept. 18. For more information on participating, visit http://www.emeritus.com/live-chat. Emeritus provides care for those with Alzheimer's and other memory-impairing diseases at 285 of its 477 senior living communities throughout the United States.
Nearly 15 million Americans are caring for a person with dementia in the home, according to the Alzheimer's Association. About 50 percent of them are taking care of parents; between 6 and 17 percent are caring for spouses. About a third of those are parenting children under 18.
"These statistics demonstrate that Alzheimer's disease is truly a family issue," Amparo said. "We welcome the opportunity to be a resource for these families."
Scott said: "The live chat is designed to offer families practical suggestions based on our organization's nearly 20 years of experience in caring for people in all stages of Alzheimer's disease."Among the topics likely to be discussed are:
- Understanding what causes pacing and other forms of agitation, and ways to calm it.
- Overcoming resistance to bathing.
- How to prepare and serve meals the memory-impaired find appealing and easy to eat.
- Ways to communicate as verbal skills weaken.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV