Digital Realty Trust
$9 billion technology REIT Digital Realty Trust (DLR) is one of the most unique niche REITs on the market today -- and arguably my favorite name in the category. But it's not other investors' favorite name. With a short interest ratio of 18.3, it would take close to a month of buying pressure for shorts to exit their bets against DLR. That makes it a prime short squeeze candidate right now.
Digital Realty Trust is unique in that it's a technology REIT. The firm owns 16.8 million square feet of datacenters, internet gateways, and tech firm office buildings spread across the country. Exposure to such an in-demand, specialized type of properties presents a major tailwind for DLR right now -- particularly in the datacenter business, which has been growing at a fast pace as consumers' appetites for hosted data continues to grow.>>5 Rocket Stocks to Buy for Fall Gains Because DLR's properties are so specialized, it boasts stickier tenants than most REITs can. Most often, datacenters are built to suit a tenant's specific technology needs, so any tenant that wants to bear the costs of breaking a lease have to bear the additional switching costs of replicating their previous setup. Those high switching costs should continue to provide a nice backstop for Digital Realty Trust right now. And DLR's nearly 4% dividend yield should be a nice backstop for investors -- particularly since short sellers have to pay it back.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV