BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- With real estate prices starting to heat up again, investors had better start paying attention to real estate investment trusts, better known as REITs.
REITs have become retail investors' go-to instrument for getting exposure to real estate prices over the last few years, and while that exposure wasn't exactly wanted after the real estate bubble burst, it's becoming a whole lot more attractive now that most real estate measures have bottomed and turned higher. Just as important, REITs are one of the few equity investments that still has a low correlation with the S&P 500; that means that investors hoping to escape exposure to "the market" can add REITs to their arsenals.
But by and large they're not. In fact, investors still hate REITs right now -- and they're betting against them en masse.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV