In corporate news, United Natural Foods (UNFI) shares fell 8.6% after the distributor of natural, organic and specialty foods provided weaker-than-expected fiscal 2013 earnings projections following a decline in fourth-quarter gross margin due to purchasing and logistics inefficiencies.
Sunesis Pharmaceuticals (SNSS) shares surged 32.2% after the company announced a positive development for the late stage trial of its treatment for acute myeloid leukemia.
Five Below (FIVE), the off-price retailer, on Monday forecast an adjusted profit of between $200,000 and $600,000, or breakeven on a per share basis or earnings of 1 cent a share, on sales ranging from $79 million to $81 million. Analysts are looking for breakeven results on revenue of $79.6 million in the October-ending quarter. Shares tumbled 3.6%.
McDonald's (MCD) said global same-store sales gained 3.7% in August. The results missed expectations of an increase of 3.9% as the global economy continues to stall. Shares closed up 0.11%.
Your one-stop shop for 2012 stock recommendations and market predictions.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Andrea Tse.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV