MITCHEL FIELD, N.Y., Sept. 11, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Frequency Electronics, Inc. (Nasdaq:FEIM) reported revenues for the first quarter of fiscal 2013, which ended July 31, 2012, of $16.7 million, compared to $15.9 million recorded in the same quarter of fiscal 2012. The Company recorded operating profit of $1.1 million for the quarter ended July 31, 2012, compared to $1.8 million in the first quarter of fiscal 2012. Net income for the first quarter of fiscal 2013 was $768,000 or $0.09 per diluted share compared to $1.3 million or $0.16 per diluted share for the first quarter of the prior year.
Commenting on the Company's performance and business outlook, Chairman of the Board General Joseph Franklin said: "We are on track this year again to achieve higher revenues and operating profits. Satellite payload revenues remained strong, 25% above the level of the prior year first quarter. Bookings in the first quarter were excellent, exceeding $20 million, including substantial new opportunities in addition to awards on long-term programs already in our pipeline. We expect significant additional bookings on legacy programs in the second quarter. Quarterly results met expectations as we absorbed approximately $1 million of additional costs on less than $1 million of revenues at FEI-Elcom Tech, our newest subsidiary. This reduced consolidated earnings. Going forward we anticipate increased revenues and positive contributions to earnings from FEI-Elcom. The outlook for FEI-Zyfer and Gillam-FEI is positive as well. All in all, we are looking ahead to an excellent year for Frequency Electronics in fiscal 2013."
Selected Fiscal 2013 Financial Metrics and Other Items
- Satellite payloads accounted for half of consolidated revenues and nearly 60% of first quarter bookings.
- Total sales for U.S. Government/DOD end-use rose to 49% of consolidated revenues. We expect revenues for U.S. Government/DOD end-use will continue to grow in this current fiscal year.
- The first quarter impact of FEI-Elcom was to decrease the gross margin rate by approximately 2% and reduce operating profit as a percentage of revenues by approximately 5%. Recent orders support expectations that the acquisition of FEI-Elcom will become accretive during this fiscal year.
- Reported segment revenues (in thousands):
|3 months ended July 31|
|less intersegment revenues||(428)||(437)|
- Sales for Gillam-FEI in the first quarter increased year-over-year when denominated in euros but the 11% decline in the value of the euro reduced reported revenues by approximately $200,000.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV