Last week, I spewed some of the data in an ill-timed article about Pandora's mobile success.
The numbers show that several companies monetize mobile quite well. Almost all, particularly Facebook, will see mobile revenues grow exponentially over the next two years. But if you follow the financial media you would think Facebook is in the middle of a turnaround.
Facebook feels like a turnaround play! How so very absurd. We treat the stock worse than we do true losers such as Research in Motion (RIMM). As much as that bugs me, I'm happy to go with the flow.
Smart long-term investors see through impatient hysteria and buy when others are not only fearful, but acting like "spoiled idiots."I do not have a line into Mark Zuckerberg and Sheryl Sandberg, so I don't know if it's coming next quarter, the one after or the one after that, but Facebook is about to catch bears off guard. Remember, it gives skimpy guidance (read: none). With nearly 20% of the float short, this story has bear trap written all over it. The second that eMarketer's data comes even close to looking prescient, look out. The firm predicts Facebook mobile ad revenue will skyrocket from $72.7 million this year to $629.4 million in 2014. Keep an eye on the trajectory. EMarketer thinks Facebook will hit $387 million in mobile revenue in 2013. If that looks on track toward the end of the year or the beginning of next, get aggressive. This thing will leave its IPO offering price in the dust in a Silicon Valley minute. For now, I'm just biding my time, writing weekly covered calls against my Facebook position. I'm a fan of spectacles. I'll won't just watch this one play out, I'll profit from it. Follow @RoccoPendola At the time of publication, the author was long FB and P. This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV