Illumina, Inc. (NASDAQ:ILMN) today announced five initial TruSight content sets for use in next-generation sequencing (NGS) in laboratory settings. Designed by recognized experts at leading institutions, the content sets offer cost-effective, streamlined, targeted sequencing for specific genetic diseases or conditions. Customers can immediately leverage this content to develop their own tests, and in the first half of 2013 will have the additional capability to augment the sets with custom content.
These products, developed in conjunction with leading healthcare experts including Children’s Mercy Center for Pediatric Genomic Medicine, Kennedy Krieger Institute, The Institute of Cancer Research, London, and Partners HealthCare (see additional Illumina-Partners HealthCare news today), are designed to provide comprehensive evaluation of genes associated with the following:
- TruSight Autism used for the evaluation of autism, a condition affecting about 1 in 88 children;
- TruSight Cancer assists in identifying genetic causes of cancer and includes genes associated with common (e.g. breast, colorectal cancer) and rare cancers;
- TruSight Cardiomyopathy assists in identifying inherited causes of cardiomyopathy;
- TruSight Inherited Disease focuses on severe, recessive pediatric onset diseases; and
- TruSight Exome targets rare genetic diseases that affect as many as 10 million people per year worldwide, with content from the HGMD® (Human Gene Mutation Database).
“The launch of these new NGS products is an exciting milestone for Illumina,” said Jay Flatley, President and Chief Executive Officer for Illumina. “We worked closely with the community to develop and introduce these first content sets, to ensure we are meeting the needs of laboratories and to enable results of high quality. Combining this content with already proven Illumina next-generation sequencing technology, via the MiSeq® platform, will provide a powerful tool.”
TruSight content sets are comprised of oligo probes that target specific genes and regions relevant to specific diseases or conditions. They are designed for use by laboratories in the development of their own unique targeted sequencing tests and will work on Illumina’s MiSeq system. Additionally, new Nextera Enrichment kits and MiSeq kits will support lower sample throughput options.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV