- Ben, an editor, and his wife, an adjunct professor, are looking so forward to the school year; they both have somewhat flexible jobs, and will only pay for a nanny two afternoons a week after school. They'll save $1,200 a month in child care. After costs for lunches and school supplies and fundraisers, they'll save about $900 a month.
- Andrea, an executive director of a political action committee, and her engineer husband pay so much each summer that they've created flexible jobs. They each take off one day a week and that saves them as much as $2,000. Still, and even with help from one of their kids' grandmothers to pick up after camp ends each day, they spent over $3,000 total for the summer. Thanks to those flexible jobs, they pay nothing for after-school care during the rest of the year.
- Cheryl and her husband are both self-employed artists - she's a writer, he's a filmmaker. They haven't done the math, but thanks to her ultra-successful books (meaning she was traveling a lot on tour over the summer) they paid “thousands” to care for their two children. Once school starts, it's a few hundred dollars a month for after-school care.
- The few friends who weren't experiencing the September windfall were those who had created creative child care situations, with trades and bartering, or took flexible freelance jobs that allowed for work after bedtimes and in early mornings (exactly how I'm writing this post right now). These are the families who have created some sort of “having it all” work/life balance. They're not looking forward to September as much as the rest!
Back-to-School: The Hidden Financial Bonus For Parents
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.