NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- GoDaddy-hosted websites were not working Monday, as the company said it was experiencing problems that caused many of its hosted sites to go offline.
The company tweeted a message Monday notifying its users of the problems. "Status Alert: Hey, all. We're aware of the trouble people are having with our site. We're working on it," the tweet read.
A later Twitter message indicated that a large number of hosted sites are being affected by the problems. "So many messages, can't get to you all... Sorry to hear all your frustration. We're working feverishly to resolve as soon as possible," the company tweeted.
GoDaddy's corporate web site was also down.GoDaddy, which competes with other website hosting companies such as Rackspace (RAX), may have been attacked by the hacker group Anonymous, which appears to have taken credit for the attack. An Anonymous-associated Twitter account said "I'm taking godaddy down bacause well i'd like to test how the cyber security is safe and for more reasons that i can not talk now" when asked why the group was taking the service down. GoDaddy, once known for its racier and provocative advertisements and Super Bowl commercials, has recently toned down its ads. Past commercials have featured auto-racing star Danica Patrick, Joan Rivers, and Candice Michelle. The company has been trying to increase its small business services beyond web hosting, most recently making its first-ever acquisition, of an online business accounting software company. --Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Commodity_Bull
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV