Rating Change #6
Southwestern Energy Company
has been downgraded by TheStreet Ratings from buy to hold. Among the primary strengths of the company is its expanding profit margins over time. At the same time, however, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and weak operating cash flow.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The gross profit margin for SOUTHWESTERN ENERGY CO is rather high; currently it is at 59.40%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of -81.40% is in-line with the industry average.
- SWN, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 2.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 21.6%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- SOUTHWESTERN ENERGY CO has exprienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, SOUTHWESTERN ENERGY CO increased its bottom line by earning $1.82 versus $1.73 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 31.3% in earnings ($1.25 versus $1.82).
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, SOUTHWESTERN ENERGY CO's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 391.5% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $167.45 million to -$488.10 million.
Southwestern Energy Company, an independent energy company, engages in the exploration, development, and production of natural gas and crude oil in the United States. The company operates through two segments, Exploration and Production, and Midstream Services. Southwestern Energy has a market cap of $10.87 billion and is part of the
industry. Shares are down 2.5% year to date as of the close of trading on Wednesday.
You can view the full
Southwestern Energy Ratings Report
or get investment ideas from our
investment research center