ChannelAdvisor, which is partially owned by eBay, showed the San Jose, Calif.-based online auction company had same-store sales growth of 23.9% in August, down from July's 28.2%.
After the auctions business stabilized in July, falling just 1% year-over-year, the segment continued to experience double-digit declines, dropping 12.2%. The report noted some of the reasons could be attributed to "auction supply, search-engine/bestmatch auction mix, consumer's lack of bidding on the format."
The company's fixed-price and Motors segments continued to post strong growth, though down from July. The fixed-price growth was 29.1% year-over-year, down from 33.1% in July. The Motors segment jumped 34.8% in August, slightly under July's 36%.Amazon's number also declined in August, dropping from 44% growth to 40.7% year-over-year. The report noted that despite the slowdown, Amazon continued to experience "their greater than two times growth rate compared to Comscore's reported e-commerce growth rate (15% in Q2)." Shares of eBay fell 0.7% to $48.88, while Amazon shares gave up 0.5%, recently trading at $257.85. Interested in more on Amazon? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock. -- Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Commodity_Bull
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV