Baxter International (BAX) is one of the biggest firms in the injectable therapies business, manufacturing everything from IV bags and solutions to dialysis equipment. In short, if it involves a needle, Baxter is probably involved somewhere in the supply chain -- or it would be if the business looked lucrative enough.
Baxter isn't interested in many of the broad injectables that other pharmaceutical and medical device firms focus on. Instead, the firm's niche positioning has paved the road to exemplary profitability by keeping Baxter's eye on disorders like hemophilia.>>5 Technical Trades Under $10 Baxter's BioScience segment has been successful at innovating its way to bigger revenues over the last several decades, even if that strategy comes with higher risks than a more reactionary pharma firm takes on. After all, with higher risks come higher rewards. While the firm's pharma arm is focused on niche offerings, its medical device segment is more interested in being a generalist. The firm supplies consumables as well as some more specialized devices (dialysis machines, for instance) to patients and healthcare facilities around the world. Those businesses don't have the same moat as its therapies do, but they provide a more consistent recurring revenue stream for investors. With rising analyst sentiment in BAX this week, we're betting on shares.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV