So far, 2012 has been a good year for shareholders of Accenture (ACN). The $44 billion consulting firm has rallied more than 21% since the first trading session of the year, besting the broad market by a big margin.
Accenture is a consulting, technology, and outsourcing firm that provides service to 96 of the world's 100 biggest companies, boasting a geographic footprint that spans 50 countries. That global reach among the biggest firms is a very good thing for Accenture; after all, courting consulting contracts is often a case of who you know. Potential clients know that Accenture knows everyone.>>4 Tech Stocks Set to Shine Accenture's business is built around helping clients make more money. That's critical. Because ACN quantifies the improvements that it brings to the table at each engagement, it's more likely to continue to renew its contracts, even when firms are tightening their belts. And unlike many consulting firms, which are formed as lucrative partnerships, Accenture's publicly traded status means that it throws off mountains of cash with effectively no debt. The downside of that cash pile -- $5.6 billion at last count -- is that it may prove temping for management to put to work with a risky investment (like a series of goodwill-filled, asset-light acquisitions). A historically decent dividend payout should help the firm avoid that compulsion.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV