Construction and aerospace conglomerate United Technologies (UTX) is first on our list this week. The $72 billion firm owns league-leading brands such as Carrier air conditioners, Sikorsky helicopters, and Pratt & Whitney jet engines.
While the products that roll off of UTX's factory lines are certainly big-ticket and capital intense, the firm has been able to avoid the downside of the business cycle -- particularly with interest rates at historic lows.>>5 M&A Deals You Can Buy at a Bargain Selling big-ticket items also comes with some attractive side effects. For example, maintenance for jet engines and elevators is highly regulated, driving significant aftermarket sales for UTX as wear parts get replaced at premium prices. The acquisition of Goodrich this summer skews UTX's focus more toward aviation, but it's a business that should be extremely complementary to the firm's existing aerospace operations. The purchase wasn't cheap, and UTX will take some time getting its balance sheet back in shape. Regardless, the consolidation should be especially attractive once the firm finds its cost savings. United Technologies has a long track record of being a good steward for investors' money. The firm has historically returned more than 70% of free cash to investors in the form of dividends and share repurchases, two tools that management can use to directly return value to its owners. Expect UTX's growth trajectory to keep throwing off cash right now.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV