NEW YORK ( TheGoldAndOilGuy.com) --The price of silver reached a five-month high this past week. Investor interest seems to have been rekindled in both gold and silver as belief in financial markets increases that the latest round of monetary easing from the Federal Reserve -- QE3 -- will soon be on its way.
Many investors had largely stayed away from silver in recent months after some had got caught up in its volatility. Silver had touched a 30-year high in April 2011 before plunging 35 percent in a few short weeks.
Now the volatility is back -- but on the upside as prices have climbed more than 20% in less than a month. The gains have outpaced that of gold, which rose roughly 10% during the same time frame.
More important for investors, the ratio between the two precious metals has moved about 10% in silver's favor since mid-August. This is the first time silver has outperformed gold since the start of 2012.For non-futures investors, the two precious metals can easily be tracked through the use of exchange-traded funds. The most liquid ETFs for the two precious metals are the iShares Silver Trust (SLV) and the SPDR Gold Shares (GLD), respectively.
You can take a look at my long-term outlook analysis from last week
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV