NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Regions Financial (RF) has replaced Wells Fargo (MS) on the "conviction" buy list at Goldman Sachs, according to a report from Goldman's banking sector analysts published Monday.
Both banks have had a strong run this year, with Wells shares gaining 25% so far in 2012 versus a 71% rise for Regions ahead of Monday's open. By contrast, the SPDR KBW Bank ETF has gained 19%.
However, Goldman analysts see a better opportunity for further gains at Regions as it closes redundant branches and possibly looks to spin off its Midwestern banks.
"While both of these will take time to complete, if we were to assume
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV