SAN JOSE, Calif., Sept. 10, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Oclaro, Inc. (NASDAQ: OCLR), a tier-one provider and innovator of optical communications and laser solutions, today announced the industry's first 8-port flexible grid Optical Channel Monitor (OCM). The new Oclaro OCM is designed to deliver the flexibility, speed and accuracy needed for the next generation ROADM (reconfigurable optical add/drop multiplexer) architectures being implemented to support 100 Gbps and higher data rate channels. The Oclaro OCM can measure the channel power and frequency of 8 DWDM input ports and incorporates advanced features such as port or channel dwelling and prioritization through advanced embedded intelligence and signal processing capabilities.
To meet the growing demands for higher bandwidth at lower per-bit transmission costs, service providers are transitioning to highly meshed network topologies with multi-degree colorless, directionless, contentionless and flexible-grid ROADMs and coherent high bit-rate transceivers. Advanced OCMs with embedded intelligence features are critical elements for these optical networks because they not only provide accurate channel power and frequency measurements for channel control and system optimization, but they also enable monitoring of add/drop routing fidelity, validation and correct control of alien channels, as well as provide early-warning diagnostics with features such as port and channel dwelling. The new Oclaro OCM provides this functionality and enables customers to meet the demanding space and power requirements in the central office by replacing switch/single-port OCM combinations or multiple 4-port modules with a single OCM. This frees up valuable space on the line card and enables customers to add more functionality and product differentiation while retaining a small form factor.
"Oclaro's new OCM represents a significant milestone towards the development of more intelligent optical networks that are capable of managing advanced future signal formats at 100 Gbps and above," said Richard Smart, General Manager of Optical Networks Solutions BU at Oclaro, Inc. "This announcement also demonstrates Oclaro's proven ability to provide highly integrated, intelligent products that enable customers to build smarter network solutions and bring innovative network features to market."
About the New 8-Port OCMThe integrated 8-port OCM is a compact single module capable of measuring channel power and frequency of 8 DWDM fiber inputs. In addition, it provides advanced embedded intelligence and data processing capabilities to provide greater control and optimization of ROADM line interface and add/drop routing cards. This innovative OCM enables efficient use of the card real estate while providing cost-effective monitoring for agile operation and control of ROADM nodes. The key features of the OCM include:
- Data rate and modulation format agnostic
- Flexible-grid channel power measurement with start-stop frequency commands
- Dynamic port and channel prioritization capability
- Channel dwelling capability and embedded data processing
- Cost-effective multi-port monitoring
- High speed operation
- Small form-factor
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV