NEW YORK (AP) â¿¿ Transocean is selling 38 of its shallow water drilling rigs to newly-formed Shelf Drilling International Holdings Ltd. for about $855 million in cash as it looks to become more competitive.
The Zug, Switzerland-based company said Monday that the deal also includes $195 million in preferred shares being issued by Shelf, which is owned by private equity groups and management.
The companies said that would bring the total value of the deal to about $1.5 billion.
Transocean Ltd. says it will provide some transition support services to Shelf as part of the transaction.Transocean anticipates taking a third-quarter charge related to the transaction. Its stock gained more than 2 percent in premarket trading Monday. The deal is expected to close in the fourth quarter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV