DENVER, Sept. 10, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Magellan Petroleum Corporation (NASDAQ: MPET; ASX: MGN) ("Magellan") today announced that its Board of Directors has carefully considered the unsolicited proposal by Stratex Oil & Gas Holdings, Inc. (OTCQB: STTX) ("Stratex") that Stratex announced on August 28, 2012. After consulting with its financial and legal advisors, the Magellan Board has determined not to pursue the Stratex proposal. The proposal, as set forth in a letter from Stratex dated August 27, 2012, was a proposal to acquire each outstanding share of Magellan common stock for $0.65 in cash and one share of Stratex common stock, the closing price for which as reported by the OTCQB on August 27, 2012, was $1.65 per share.
In making its determination, the Board of Directors noted that Stratex did not respond to a written request for preliminary information regarding, among other things, Stratex's financial statements, organizational structure, oil and gas properties, and the terms and conditions of the "committed financing" for the cash component of the proposal. The Magellan Board and its advisors reviewed the most recent public disclosures by Stratex, from which it appears:
- Stratex is a development stage company that lacks significant financial or other assets;
- the audit opinion dated June 27, 2012, for the most recent audited financial statements of Stratex Oil & Gas, Inc. contains an explanatory paragraph regarding factors which raise substantial doubt about Stratex's ability to continue as a going concern, and the financial statements in Stratex's Form 8-K dated July 6, 2012, contain the following statement: "the company (Stratex) believes its current available cash along with anticipated revenues may be insufficient to meet its cash needs for the near future.";
- the proposed transaction presents significant corporate governance concerns for Magellan shareholders given, among other things, the effective 100,000,000 share super-voting rights in Stratex held by the two principal officers of Stratex;
- the majority of the asserted value of the Stratex proposal is based on the value of Stratex common stock, a security with extremely limited trading volume that trades only sporadically; and
- the manner in which Stratex has reported its oil and gas reserve quantities, future net cash flows, and the number of its gross and net wells raises concerns about accurately understanding the value of these metrics.
CAUTIONARY INFORMATION ABOUT FORWARD-LOOKING STATEMENTSStatements in this release which are not historical in nature are intended to be, and are hereby identified as, forward-looking statements for purposes of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These statements about Magellan may relate to its businesses, prospects, and other matters that involve a number of risks and uncertainties that may cause actual results to differ materially from the results expressed or implied in the forward-looking statements. Among these risks and uncertainties are: (i) whether Stratex will revise its proposal and whether any transaction with Stratex will be agreed to by Magellan as being in the best interests of Magellan's shareholders; (ii) whether Stratex will pursue a tender offer directly to Magellan's shareholders; and (iii) those set forth in the Risk Factors sections of Magellan's most recent 10-K and subsequent 10-Qs filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (the "SEC").
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV