NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- BP (BP) is nearing a deal to sell some of its oil fields in the Gulf of Mexico to Plains Exploration & Production (PXP) for about $7 billion, according to published media report.
The report, published on The Wall Street Journal's Web site, cited anonymous sources familiar with the matter.
The sale would be part of the BP's continuing efforts to sell off assets to pay for the 2010 Gulf oil spill.
The Journal says that the companies could announce a deal as early as this week but noted that talks are continuing and could still end without an agreement.Houston-based Plains Exploration & Production, which had a market cap Friday of $5.2 billion, would take on debt to pay for the assets, the Journal reported, citing one anonymous source. Representatives of both companies declined to comment, the Journal added. > > Bull or Bear? Vote in Our Poll
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV