NEW YORK -- Virgin Atlantic CEO Steve Ridgway is retiring early next year, following 23 years with the British airline founded by Richard Branson.
Since he joined the company as managing director of the frequent flyer program, Virgin Freeway, the airline has grown from two 747 planes to a fleet of 40 long-haul aircraft. It now flies 6 million passengers a year around the world.
Ridgway, 60, said in a statement he's seen "many great times and a few bad" and said the airline must continue to offer something different than its competitors. The executive is leading the search for his successor.
Branson called Ridgway a "close friend and confidant" and said he'll likely be involved in future Virgin projects.Virgin Atlantic has been 49% owned by Singapore Airlines (SINGY) since 2000, in a deal that valued the airline at 1.23 billion pounds ($1.97 billion). > > Bull or Bear? Vote in Our Poll
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV