If bavituximab truly doubles lung-cancer survival in the second-line setting, the drug should demonstrate a similar benefit in the front line.
Peregrine's first-line lung cancer study also enrolled roughly half its patients from Eastern Europe and India, so the same need to show geographic consistency applies.
A previously reported single-arm study of bavituximab plus carboplatin/paclitaxel in 49 first-line lung cancer patients -- all recruited from India -- reported an overall response rate of 43%, median progression-free survival of 6.1 months and a median overall survival of 12.4 months.
Comparing across trials is problematic, but it does seem strange that bavituximab is producing a lung cancer survival benefit in the second line (12.1 months) equivalent to the first line (12.4 months). One possible explanation, of course, is that the patients enrolled in the second-line study presented Friday aren't really second-line patients.One more question regarding bavituximab's purported mechanism of action: If the drug is indeed an immune-stimulatory anticancer drug, shouldn't there be clinical data related to immune response and/or associated toxicity? I can't recall seeing any such data. Peregrine is holding a conference call Monday morning to discuss Friday's bavituximab data. Peregrine shares closed Friday up $1.43, or 47%, to $4.50. -- Written by Adam Feuerstein in Boston.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Adam Feuerstein. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/adamfeuerstein. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com. Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV