France's Arnault Seeks Belgian Passport: Report
PARIS -- A Belgian newspaper says Bernard Arnault, France's wealthiest businessman and boss of the LVMH luxury house, has applied for Belgian citizenship.
La Libre Belgique newspaper reported Saturday that Arnault's citizenship application was confirmed by the head of Belgium's naturalization office.
French media drew a connection to French President Francois Hollande's plan to raise the tax rate on France's highest earners to 75%.
But tax experts said obtaining Belgian citizenship would not change Arnault's tax situation, which is determined by residence, not citizenship.Arnault has been critical of the tax plan and many in France's right-wing UMP opposition party have warned it could drive entrepreneurs out of the country. > > Bull or Bear? Vote in Our Poll
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV