It's part of a new generation of blood thinners seen as big money makers by analysts and the pharmaceutical industry, and viewed by doctors and patients as possible improvements over the long-time standard, warfarin. Warfarin, sold under brands including Coumadin, is inexpensive but requires frequent blood tests to get the dosage right to prevent dangerous internal bleeding.
By The Associated Press(equals)
The Dow Jones industrial average rose 14.64 points to close at 13,306.64. The Standard & Poor's 500 was up 5.80 points to 1,437.92. The Nasdaq composite barely moved, up 0.61 points at 3,136.42.Benchmark crude rose 89 cents to finish at $96.42 per barrel. Brent crude, used to price international varieties of oil, rose 76 cents to end at $114.25 on the ICE Futures exchange in London. Wholesale gasoline rose 3 cents to finish at $3.02 a gallon. Heating oil rose less than a penny to end at $3.15 a gallon. Natural gas lost 9 cents to finish at $2.68 per 1,000 cubic feet.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV