Both Google (GOOG) and Amazon.com (AMZN) have found a way to build their own device ecosystems by building dominant public clouds. It's the cloud that is the platform of the coming decade. What should be most disquieting is that both Amazon and Google have used open source to create these ecosystems and these dominant public clouds.
What is the lesson? Open source, by itself, is no guarantee of market competition. We want market competition -- the more of it we can get, the more investments we can create, the more growth we get.
But something beyond mere "open source" must exist to assure that competition continues. In a healthy tech economy, there are a lot of winners, and in 2012 there are just a few.
At the time of publication, Blankenhorn was long IBM, MSFT, AMZN, GOOG and AAPL. This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV