Like the other two homebuilders I've mentioned, Lennar is in solid financial shape, with $1.4 billion in cash and investments offsetting a $4 billion building debt position. And that balance sheet is likely way more conservative than the short sellers are willing to admit. The firm's blockbuster second quarter earnings are evidence of that.
Don't Buy Homebuilder ETFs
With the price action homebuilding stocks have seen so far this year, homebuilding ETFs have been getting a lot of attention. The SPDR S&P Homebuilders ETF (XHB) and the iShares Dow Jones US Home Construction ETF (ITB) are two popular funds that a lot of people have been looking at. Don't buy them.
Both of these funds own homebuilding stocks, but they also own a bunch of randomly related businesses, from home improvement retailers to mattress companies. Ironically, maybe half of the stocks in each of these funds aren't homebuilders at all, but I get that "The Homebuilders and Some Other Stuff ETF" doesn't have the same ring to it. Managing such a big portfolio is a big job -- and the ETFs charge you management fees for their trouble.If you want real homebuilder exposure, skip the ETFs and stick with the stocks. To see my homebuilder stocks in action, check out the Homebuilder Stocks Portfolio on Stockpickr.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV