- Make an emergency plan. Small businesses should post an emergency evacuation plan and emergency action plan. The plan should include: emergency contact numbers, local medical facility locations and contact numbers, who in the workplace is trained in first aid, how to ensure that personnel is accounted for and in a safe location, etc.
- Build an emergency kit. An emergency kit includes the basics for survival, such as flashlights, extra batteries, battery powered or hand crank radio, dust masks and first aid kits. Keep copies of important records stored in a waterproof, fire proof container. These records can include building plans, insurance policies, employee contact information, bank account records and other important documents.
- Back up your data. Have back-up plans to ensure crucial data won’t be lost during a power outage or the next storm. Only half of office managers in the Staples.com survey said their company had back-up plans in place.
- Practice. Good preparation means conducting regular safety drills. However, the Staples.com survey found that 50 percent of office workers participate in drills only once every few years or never. In the case of a hazardous material exposure or a major medical emergency, less than a quarter (23 percent and 19 percent, respectively) of office workers said they would know what to do in that circumstance.
- Get involved. Consider taking a first aid course or emergency response training, such as those offered from the National Safety Council.
Staples And The National Safety Council Stress The Importance Of Having A Safety Plan In Place For Businesses, Including Having A Emergency Kit With Safety Products (Photo: Business Wire)
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.