The tech bellwether said it now expects third-quarter sales between $12.9 billion and $13.5 billion, well below its prior forecast of $13.8 billion to $14.8 billion.
In a statement, Intel cited "weaker than expected demand in a challenging macroeconomic environment" for its guidance change.
"Relative to the prior forecast, the company is seeing customers reducing inventory in the supply chain versus the normal growth in third-quarter inventory; softness in the enterprise PC market segment; and slowing emerging market demand," it explained. The company's data center business, however, is meeting expectations.The Santa Clara, Calif.-based company also narrowed its gross margin outlook on Friday. Intel now expects a third-quarter gross margin between 61% and 63%, compared to its prior forecast of 61% to 65%. Expectations for R&D and MG&A (merger and acquisition) spending, however, are unchanged. Full-year capital spending, though, is expected to be below the low-end of Intel's prior guidance of $12.1 billion to 12.9 billion. The No. 1 chipmaker, which is seen as a barometer for the overall tech sector, also cited a challenging macroeconomic environment when it reported its second-quarter results in July. The AMD (AMD) rival comfortably beat Wall Street's profit forecast, but lowered its full-year guidance. Intel's shares slipped 2.53% to $24.46 before market open on Friday. The company's annual Intel Developer Forum kicks off in San Francisco next week, which TheStreet will be attending. --Written by James Rogers in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Check out our new tech blog, Tech Trends. Follow TheStreet Tech on your wireless devices
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV