Jefferies analyst Ken Usdin reiterated his "Buy" rating for SunTrust, while raising his price target for the shares by a dollar to $29, viewing the "Coke sale and balance sheet derisking as a modest positive as it eliminates the mortgage repurchase overhang and creates a cleaner earnings run-rate for '13."
Usdin raised his 2013 EPS estimate for SunTrust by a dime, to $2.75.
Regarding the transfer of loans to held-for-sale, the analyst said "we assume that $500mm-$700mm of the $3B in loans are nonperforming, with the remainder being government guaranteed lending."
Usdin also said that SunTrust's announced actions would be "slightly dilutive to tangible book" value and its Basel III Tier 1 common equity ratio, with tangible book value moving "$0.75-$1.00 lower given that gains from the Coke transaction already showed up in accumulated other comprehensive income," and the estimated Basel III Tier 1 ratio declining to 7.9% from 8.0% in June.BMO Capital Markets analyst Lana Chan upgraded SunTrust to "Outperform," from "Market Perform," while raising her price target for the shares to $35 from $26, saying that "we acknowledge that we missed the 50% move up in the stock YTD; however, STI's valuation remains one of the cheapest among the regional banks." Chan raised her 2013 EPS estimate for SunTrust to $3.00 from $2.65, "driven mainly by lower than anticipated mortgage repurchase costs." The analyst said her price target was "based on a target
Interested in more on SunTrust? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV