Democrats, GOP Fail to Calm Worried Investors
CHARLOTTE, N.C. ( TheStreet) -- President Barack Obama delivered his convention speech Thursday night, but it didn't offer substance for worried investors.
Democrats and Republicans alike failed to quell any uncertainty about a looming fiscal cliff and a stagnant jobs market.
"This uncertainty within the election as two diametrically opposite philosophies when it comes to the economy ... leads to confusion," said Jeffrey Sica, chief investment officer of Sica Wealth Management. "I think when investors get too confused, and there's not a level of transparency or certainty, there's a much greater likelihood that markets will sell off based on that."
Polls suggest that Americans could be in for a tight race between now and the election.Investors, Sica said, are treating this election like economic data: When Mitt Romney or Obama unveils more specific economic policies, it allows them to prepare a clearer strategy in the event that either candidate scores victory in 2012. But there's no way to know for certain which direction fiscal issues are headed without knowing who will win. Of course, that won't be decided until Nov. 6. One early indicator investors could watch for is a post-convention bump that sustains itself. "When all is said and
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV