- A suit in February brought by DZ Bank AG -- Germany's fourth largest bank -- against JPMorgan Chase (JPM), saying that it purchased $85 million in MBS from JPMorgan based on flawed offering materials, and another suit by DZ Bank against HSBC (HBC), claiming misrepresentations and omissions in offering materials, on $122 million in MBS purchases.
- A suit by brought in April by HSH Nordbank AG against two subsidiaries of Barclays PLC (BCS), claiming Barclays misrepresented the quality of loans underlying $46 million in mortgage-backed securities.
- An April lawsuit by Bayerische Landesbank -- one of eight German Landesbanks that are primarily owned by German state governments -- against Deutsche Bank AG (DB), accusing Deutsche Bank of committing fraud while selling $810 million in residential MBS.
- A lawsuit filed in May by Bayerische Landesbank against Merrill Lynch -- acquired by Bank of America (BAC - Get Report) in January 2009 -- accusing Merrill of making misrepresentations in offering materials for $324 million in residential MBS.
- Separate suits filed against Barclays in June by Sealink Funding and Landesbank Baden-Wuerttemberg Sealink claiming that Barclays made misrepresentations related to the sale of $604 million in MBS, while Landesbank Baden-Wuerttemberg claimed misrepresentations on $205 million in mortgage paper.
Germany Wants its U.S. Mortgage Money Back: Street Whispers
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.