Construction and development loans are down $411.5 billion since the end of 2007, or 65.4%. Back between the 1988 and 1992 crisis, C&D Loans declined 54.7%, and thus the "Great Credit Crunch" has exceeded that percentage. This is the loan category where community banks remain reluctant to lend and it remains a drag on the homebuilders, who want to rebuild inventories.
As the graph below from the FDIC shows, the noncurrent rate on C&D loans peaked in early 2009, but remains significantly elevated. This indicates that continued write-offs are necessary and implies that the FDIC will continue the bank failure process to whittle down their List of Problem Banks from the current total of 732 FDIC-insured financial institutions.
The above table shows data from the FDIC and www.ValuEngine.com covering 29 community banks that have overexposures to real estate loans. This is just a sampling.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV