The top two spots in the 2012 Digital IQ Index ®: Specialty Retail were decisively captured by Macy’s and Nordstrom, respectively. The study, authored by Scott Galloway, NYU Professor of Marketing, and a team of researchers at L2 Think Tank, benchmarks the digital competence of 76 global retail brands. This year’s study includes data and expertise from L2 partners SapientNitro and STELLAService.
Download an excerpt from the report: http://www.l2thinktank.com/research/specialty-retail-2012/
|Top Ten Digital IQ’s:|
|1. Macy's||6. JCPenney|
|2. Nordstrom||7. Bloomingdale's|
|3. Victoria's Secret||8. Crate & Barrel|
|4. Sephora||9. Gap|
|5. American Eagle Outfitters||10. Saks Fifth Avenue|
"Mobile and Amazon are reshaping retail. M-commerce is the fastest growing channel in the history of commerce. A retailer’s ability to prosper will be inextricably linked to their agility on the platform. In addition, Amazon has turned its sights on specialty retailers, offering high-end brands and an experience that closes the gap with bricks and mortar. We believe the ranking offers insight into the firms that will over and under perform relative to peers." —Scott Galloway, Professor of Marketing, NYU Stern, and Founder, L2
"The rise of the smart phone and mobility compound the challenges for retailers both in and out of stores. Digital experiences today need to do more than offer consumers the ability to transact. The best ones provide an experience -- one that connects the consumer’s digital and physical worlds -- and offers relevance to their lifestyle.” —Bill Kanarick, CMO, SapientNitroStudy Highlights:
- In Q2 2012, online retail spending reached $44.3 billion, up 17 percent YoY. E-commerce is expected to grow at a 13.3 percent CAGR, versus flat growth for bricks and mortar.
- For the first time, there is a significant relationship between the size of a retailer’s business and their Digital IQ. The relationship strengthens when looking at the size of a retailer’s online business.
- The Digital IQ of e-tailers fell below the average for the whole category. The top two spots in the 2012 Digital IQ Index®: Specialty Retail were decisively captured by Macy’s and Nordstrom, respectively.
- Amazon.com, boasting a peerless e-commerce experience and a 37 percent share of U.S. M-commerce, is THE force reshaping retail. As Amazon is reinvesting cheap capital in a supply chain to offer same day delivery, eroding one of the few remaining advantages of terrestrial retail.
- M-commerce is now the fastest growing commerce channel in history and the mobile device is influencing more on- and off- line purchases than TV, Print, and often the in-store salesperson. Everyone, including Facebook, has been caught flat-footed by the extraordinary rise of mobile. E-commerce is now M-commerce.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV